One Word Story
How the Exercise Works
- SELECT to participants
- CHOOSE a topic for a story
- Have participant A start the story with one word.
- Participant B carries on.
- CONTINUE until the story reaches some form of conclusion or closure.
- PUT a HAT on one of the participants, then a second one on the other team member.
NOTE: If time permits have as many as possible take part in the exercise. As a variation, inject one person into the team or add a third or fourth part to the group.
DEBRIEF exercise. As part of the debrief, ASK these question to promote dialogue:
Did you try to control the story – where it was going?
Could you control the story even if you wanted to?
What about the team – did it work – why or why not?
Did you feel silly – did you care?
What affect did the hats have on “you”?