HOW THE EXERCISE WORKS
- PARTICIPANTS to form small circles of about 6-8 throughout the room.
- HAVE them clap toward the person they want to ‘throw’ their energy to using the words ‘fast’ or ‘go’.
- MAKE SURE that they clap and look at the person they are throwing their energy to directly.
- TELL THEM the object is to go as fast as possible.
- THE FACILITATOR should jump between groups and really use a lot of energy to bring the energy of the group up. After a few moments, move to the next group and get their energy going
- AFTER DOING IT AS SMALL GROUPS for a period, have them form a large circle around the room.
- TELL THEM that they are going to go clockwise around the circle using only the word ‘go’. The idea is to create the ‘wave’.
- AT FIRST go fast when it comes to you with lots of energy. The second time around go slow with very little energy.:.
DEBRIEF exercise. As part of the debrief, ASK these question to promote dialogue:
How did your energy affect the rest of the team?
Why were people motivated to do this exercise and/or succeed? Fun? Don’t want to let others down? Because they were told to?
Where were people mentally during the exercise? Were they ‘here and now’ or thinking about what was going to happen later that day or earlier?
What happened when you checked out mentally?